Monday, November 12, 2007

Messianic "Jews" in Skokie

Dear Rabbi Ginsburg,

There has been a complaint about the Skokie Public Library listing the Devar
Emet Messianic Synagogue under the "Synagogue" listing of community groups
on its SkokieNet website, on the basis that it is not a Jewish institution
and so should not be listed as such. The library responded that it was
initially listed as "Other", but the group said they are a synagogue and
wanted the listing changed. The library complied, saying that it follows a
group's own definition of itself.
We are doing an article on this for this week's issue, and I wonder if you
would comment briefly. (As always, I'm on deadline, so if I could hear from
you, by email or phone, on Tues., I would appreciate it.)

Thanks.

Gila Wertheimer Chicago Jewish Star

My answer
"I have 4 videos on youtube about this Jewu 35, 200, 201, 202, Jews not for Jesus series.
Messianic Jews are not Jewish. It is completely misleading to call themselves a synagogue. Once someone declares themselves Jesus believers, they leave the Jewish community. The Supreme Court of Israel so ruled, and the Jewish people agree"


Rabbi Jonathan Ginsburg

No comments: