Saturday, November 24, 2007

Do Jews believe in Satan?

I've come across your videos and I find that they are very educational on the Jewish faith and customs. I myself am a believing Christian, however I have quite a bit of interest in other religions and particularly in the Abrahamic faiths. My girlfriend is Jewish, and we have spoken several times on our difference in belief. My question to you is this, why don't Jews believe in Satan? The reason I ask is because he is mentioned in the book of Job as the adversary in original Hebrew, and is alluded to a few more times throughout the Tanakh, along with a place called "Gehenna", which I've heard is an ancient garbage dump outside of Jerusalem. Thanks for your time, I hope to hear back from you soon.


Answer=watch my video on Jews and satan/devil.

Its true that the TanachHebrew Bible mentions it. It plays a role as an angel, not + to God, in folklore and mysticism, but maionline Judaism totally rejects the idea of any power other than God.
Rabbi Jonathan Ginsburg

No comments: