Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Former Quaker exploring judaism Jewish identity #4

Dear Rabbi,
I am a former Quaker(Christian) who became discontent with the practice. I then began to search for orthodoxy in Christianity which is closet to the practices of Jesus. I eventually stopped going to church and only looked towards him. I felt lost for a long time because I always thought of him as a teacher, and not the literal Messiah. I had many doubts and always felt one step away from God. I had doubts about church practices as well. I also held the belief that ALL people have a place in the ‘good half’ of the next world if they are a basically good person. All of these things should have led me away from Christianity, but I always knew in my heart the answers were in the Bible. Something was there, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.
Then one day it happened...An event I now know was not an accident! I was speaking with a neighbor of mine whose mother converted to Mormonism. We started to talk about things we know of the practice. Then I said it…”Mormonism does not believe in the Jesus of the Bible. They are Christian because they believe in Christ. However, it does not believe in one omnipotent and omniscient God. Therefore it may be Christianity but it is not an Abrahamic religion, which is its said basis. How can a person say they believe in a book of changes without knowing the original practice from the perspective of those believers?”
That night I reflected on what I said, and my life hasn’t been the same since. I thought about how arrogantly I made that statement. The arrogance was not in sharing my opinion, but in not applying the same thought process to my beliefs. So I began to learn about Judaism from the Jewish perspective.
The first thing I found was Maimonides’ 13 principles of faith. Then I listened to a 4 hour recording of an Orthodox Rabbi presenting the oral history. The next thing I learned about was Jewish dietary laws. I learned so much about Judaism through the reasoning behind the diet. It all felt natural to learn. In Christianity I searched for a fullness of the ‘old testament’. In Judaism I found that fullness. I was like a detective looking at the most basic concepts about the faith saying “I knew it! I’ve known it for years!”
I still can’t believe I’m writing this letter….but my main point is that I need to know more. I need a Rabbi to direct my study. I of course want to join the Jewish people, but right now my thirst is for Torah study and Hebrew language. I’ve been filled with an excitement I’ve never had, and I know this is the right choice. I know it because the best ideas I’ve had have come back to me. I’ve lost my way…left college….and took a job in banking. Now it’s all different. I want to enter my first choice of profession. I want to finish my degree and become a teacher of history. I also have realized my biggest dream in life again, which is to become a father. It all has new meaning when I think about raising a proud Jewish family. I can’t have this change happen to me and not pass it to the next generation.
I am requesting guidance in this matter. I don’t know where to start. Thank you for reading this long and horribly articulated letter. Any direction you can give, or advice I should hear is appreciated. I am trying to build my initial connections with the Jewish people, and find a community to move to in the future.

No comments: