Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Questions I get about Jewish status 1

Email "I came across your lecture videos on Youtube with interest. I am 22 years old and have been actively pursuing Judaism for the last three years. My father's-father is from Judah, my father's-mother is a Levite, my mother's-father is a Kohen, but my mother's-mother is not Jewish. As a result, my mother "converted" to Judaism before I was born by an Orthodox/Traditional Rabbi that used two non-Orthodox witnesses. Since the entire Beth Din was not Orthodox, the Chicago Rabbinical Council ruled that the conversion had no validity in Jewish law which means Orthodoxy in America along with the State of Israel regard me as a non-Jew. However, I learned that the Conservative and Reform branches in Judaism accept me as a Jew without question. I feel reluctant to undergo an Orthodox conversion for a variety of reasons: [I am uncomfortable with wearing a Kippah at all times, not being able to shake hands with the opposite gender, thanking Hashem for not having made me a (gentile, slave, woman) prayer in the morning, and believing that the entire Torah/Talmud literally came from Mount Sinai.] At this point in my life, my ideological views in Judaism are closely related to the Conservative movement. If I pursue Conservative Judaism, I feel as though my Jewish status is illegitimate because the State of Israel regards me as a non-Jew. I understand the Law of Return would grant me citizenship, but I would be considered an "alien resident."
As you know, individuals that undergo Conservative conversions from your synagogue would not be accepted as a Jew in the State of Israel, like me. Do you have any advice that would allow me to pursue Conservative Judaism without feeling grief that my status is fraudulent according to the State of Israel? Thank you."

Cordially,

My answer
The State of Israel currently would admit you as a Jew (law requires it for even Non-Orthodox converts) but inside the country the fanatic Rabbis rule so that's a different matter. You are fully Jewish as recognized by 90% of the world's Jews so don't fret about the Orthodox. The Israeli rabbinate does not speak for world Jewry.
If you wanted to move there. there are 150 Conservative Rabbis able to help.

No comments: