Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I helped ordain a minister

Sunday, I had a very interesting experience. I participated in the Ordination service of a Presbyterian Minister. Jews get Ordained by the schools. Protestants by a Church.
I wore two "kippot" there. One was as the President of the Niles Township Clergy Association and the other was as a Rabbi. The candidate wanted Psalms read in Hebrew. I was even on the official body that recommended his ordination. The service was very moving. He was the only one ordained. They do it one at a time. We do it as a group. All ordained laid their hands on him. We got a handshake from the Chancellor.
I wasn't sure whether I should do that laying of hands since I can't Ordain a Christian minister. This ordination business is supposed to be an unbroken link from Rabbi to Rabbi. But, I did not want to offend. The head guy there suggested I do it, so I went up and stood with them and put one finger on the shoulder of the person who was in front of me who was touching the new minister.
The charge from the presiding minister of the Church to him could have been a fine charge to any Rabbi, with a few words changed.
My version of it would be
1.Teach Torah at every opportunity
2.Even though the Synagogue pays me, I work for God, never forget it.
3.Worry less about pleasing the members, and more about pleasing God
4. Always be prepared to teach Torah
5.Never pass up an opportunity to teach something if you can
6. Keep on learning
7. Be always humble, modest, calm, and strive for holiness.
8. The society waters down our message all the time, we shouldn't.

No comments: