Sunday, August 26, 2007

Friday night Shabbat experience at Reform Temple.

I wrote last week about a prospective convert's email to me about the bad experience first time he went to his local Conservative Synagogue-(not EHNTJC G-d forbid) being screamed at by the first person who spoke to him. Here was his report about the Reform synagogue.

"Friday night Shabbat experience at Reform Temple.
What a night and day difference from last week that I wrote you about.
First off, I was greated at the door by a man and woman wishing me a Good Sabbath. They have volunteer greeters every week. They immediately struck up a conversation with me.
Once inside the Chapel (oh what a beautiful chapel) I took a seat in the back and to the side. I had over 20 people come and introduce themselves to me! Not only did they introduce themselves, but they wanted to know about me and I had lots of conversations with them. The Chapel was packed and they had to bring in more chairs.
The service was also wonderful. Afterward there was an Oneg where I met another 10 or so people. I just can't get over how nice everyone was. I introduced myself to the Rabbi, who was quite interested in meeting me. He told me that he was sending me tickets to the High Holidays, for free, and he really wanted me to come to that.
I'm thrilled and reinvigorated. What I relief! I had been distraught for a week. I've spent so much time studying and learning this past year. I had thoughts that I had wasted my time. What a difference a week makes! I am more determined than ever now to convert.
I do plan on giving the Conservative Synagogue another try. I will let you know how my second try with the Conservative Synagogue goes."
.

No comments: