Saturday, August 4, 2012

Olympic gold and God

Some are writing upset that Gabby Douglas finds strength in God. see below. That is so weird. Gabrielle actually is Biblical Hebrew Gibor means hero or strength, ri part mine and elle is God so her name means God is my strength.

"In Salon today, Mary Elizabeth Williams shares her discomfort with Gabby Douglas's outspoken religious fervor at the Olympics. Williams says of the gymnast:
As a Christian myself (albeit one of those really freaky papist kinds), I’ve often wondered what it is about Christians like Douglas that unnerves me so. The closest I’ve been able to figure it is that Douglas and her ilk seem to espouse a faith based on what is commonly referred to as “The God of Parking Spaces.” It’s the deity that grants wishes to those who ask nicely. Douglas is a girl who has described God is the figure who’s “waking me up every morning and keeping me safe in the gym every day.”

part of the continuing war on religion

No comments: