Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who are the happiest

American Jews Lead the Happiest Lives

By CATHERINE RAMPELL
On average, Jews have higher levels of well-being than their counterparts of every other major faith in America, according to new data from the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index.
The index uses daily surveys that aim to measure the components of “the good life,” including health, happiness and access to basic needs like food and shelter. The latest results are based on more than 372,000 interviews conducted in 2009 and 2010, and control for major demographic and regional variables
A previous analysis by Gallup had found that the very religious in general had higher levels of well-being than their less religious counterparts.
This latest parsing of the data finds that that is true across all major religious groups: very religious Catholics have higher levels of well-being than moderately religious or nonreligious Catholics, and so on. (Levels of religiosity are based on how often survey respondents report attending services and how important they perceive religion to be in their daily lives.)
The same is true for American Jews: The most religious members of the Chosen People score highest on the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index - although in general a relatively small share of Jews report themselves as very religious, compared to the composition of other religious groups.


so then why?Morty visits Dr. Goldberg, the veterinarian, and says, "My dog has a problem." Dr. Goldberg says, "So, tell me." "It's a Jewish dog. His name is Seth and he can talk," says Morty. "He can talk?" the doubting doctor asks. "Watch this!" Morty points to the dog and commands: " Seth, fetch!" Seth, begins to walk toward the door, then turns around and says, "So why are you talking to me like that? You always order me around like I'm nothing. And you only call me when you want something. And then you make me sleep on the floor, with my arthritis. You give me this fahkahkta food with all the salt and fat, and you tell me it's a special diet. It tastes like dreck! YOU should eat it yourself! And do you ever take me for a decent walk? NO, it's out of the house, a short pish, and right back home. Maybe if I could stretch out a little, the sciatica wouldn't kill me so much! I should roll over and play dead for real for all you care!" Dr. Goldberg is amazed, "This is remarkable! So, what's the problem?" Morty says, "He has a hearing problem! I said 'fetch,' not 'kvetch.

No comments: